Q. Discuss how ISM code helps to tackle on emergency situation.
Ans:- ISM code helps to tackle on emergency situation:-
- Objective of ISM Code is to ensure safety at sea, prevention of human injury or loss of life avoidance of damage to environment especially to marine environment.
- Purpose of ISM Code to provide an international standard for safe management, operation of ships and for pollution prevention.
- Emergency Preparedness: ISM Code ensures the following procedures are implemented
- The Company should establish procedures to identify, describe and respond to potential emergency shipboard situations.
- The Company should establishes programmes for drills and exercises to prepare for emergency actions.
- The SMS should provide for measures ensuring that the Company’s organization can respond at any time to hazards, accidents and emergency situations involving its ships.
- Emergency situations included in ISM code:
- Flooding in Engine Room
- Black out
- Oil Spill
- Leakage/ overflow during discharge
- Emergency steering
- Medical Emergency
- Abandon ship
- Piracy attack